‘Phil The Music Quill’ – yes its a silly name (not my real one of course!), but people tend to remember it.
For some time I’d been thinking of writing something on my thoughts, musings and rantings on the various forms of music that appeal to me. Persuaded by friends and relatives, I eventually got round to putting my ‘quill’ to paper – or fingers on keyboard really – back in February 2014. It soon became quite successful (to my surprise), and I’ve been writing ever since. I write chiefly about some of the varied forms of Rock, Blues; and Folk that appeal to me; with a little Jazz and Soul thrown in too. I suppose this desire to cover many genres comes from my teenage years in the 70s, watching ‘Whispering Bob’ Harris’ BBC TV show The Old Grey Whistle Test; that covered varied forms of music and was a great inspiration to me. Add to that the eclectic mix on the playlists of the pirate radio station Radio Caroline, and you’ll see my influences.
Normally my writing consists of gig, album, and book reviews; interviews; news and views about all sorts of artists, great and small. And what my musical friends are up to, and promoting their projects and efforts if I can; with links as necessary; plus some general music blah-blah – anything I fancy scribbling about really!
Please feel free to comment about anything I’ve written. People often point out errors or make suggestions which I do act upon. I always welcome the opinions of others – good or bad. There is a ‘Like’ button at the bottom of every article; so if after you’ve finished reading you have a desire to press it, then please do! Feedback is always welcome. Here are links to my FaceBook and Twitter pages; which I use to publicise my website, so by all means follow these too if you have a mind to.
Keep scrolling down for Links; List Of Contents; and Contact Info. Thanks for your interest, PTMQ
LIST OF CONTENTS – Just scroll down the list and click on the link for the article you want to read.
(In prep) Interview and gig review: MALAYA BLUE BAND (+ surprise special guest DEL BROMHAM) at The NCBC, Essex. 21st April 2017; + an interview with Malaya.
(In prep) Interview and gig review: RED BUTLER (+ support THE ROOSTERS) at The NCBC, Essex. Friday, 14th April 2017; + an interview with the new look Red Butler.
(In prep). DARIA KULESH‘s birthday gig at Loughton Folk Club (+Open Floor). Thursday, 25th May 2017.
(In prep). PAUL RODGERS AND THE DEBORAH BONHAM BAND Free Spirit Tour (+ support DEBS BONHAM with DOUG BOYLE). Cliffs Pavilion, Essex. Monday 22nd May 2017.
(In prep). THE ROY METTÉ BAND (+ support THE RICHARD TOWNEND TRIO) at NCBC, Essex. Friday, 19th May, 2017.
150. Single review SHARON LAZIBYRD’s new single ‘Opium Of The Masses’ (2017). A pre-release review.
142. Album review HUSKY TONES Who Will I Turn To Now? (2017) A pre-release review.
132. Gig review: YAEL BEBB (+ Open Floor) at ROMFORD FOLK CLUB. The Sun PH. Tuesday 22nd November, 2016.
131. Book review: STEVE ‘LOOPY’ NEWHOUSE‘s Loopyworld: The Iron Maiden Years (2016) + A trip down Memery lane for The Quill.
127. Gig review: STEVE FORWARD‘s ‘ONE FLOYD’ SHOW at GPCA, Harlow, Essex. Friday, 16th September, 2016.
125. ‘HEADSTOCK’ Music and beer festival at the Nelson Head PH, Horsey, Norfolk. Friday 2nd to Sunday 4th September 2016. With particular mention of THE MUDDY BROAD BLUES BAND; THE GEORGIA SHAKLETON TRIO; and THE MACARNOS.
124. THE DEBORAH BONHAM BAND (+ THE JO BURT EXPERIENCE) at TOUCHLINE LIVE MUSIC, Hockley, Essex. Interview and gig review. Friday, 19th August, 2016.
123. ANGE HARDY & LUKAS DRINKWATER “Findings” (Story Records, 2016)
122. AMY GODDARD’s new charity single ‘Remembering Aberfan’ (2016). A pre-release review.
121. TREV TURLEY AND FRIENDS (+ special guest MARK ‘BOWEEVIL’ HOWES, and support from THE HEATERS) at THE NEW CRAWDADDY BLUES CLUB, Billericay, Essex. Friday, 12th August 2016.
120. CHANTEL McGREGOR (+ THE HEATERS) at THE NEW CRAWDADDY CLUB, Billericay, Essex. Interview and gig review. Friday 7th August, 2016).
119. ALI MAAS & MICKY MOODY Black & Chrome (Armadillo, 2016)
118. THE CADILLAC KINGS The Secret Of My Success (33 Records, 2016)
117. RICHIE MILLTON AND THE LOWDOWN Pre-Katrina (Right Track Records, 2016)
115. KATIE BRADLEY with THE CHRIS CORCORAN TRIO (+ support MARTIN McNEILL) at THE NEW CRAWDADDY BLUES CLUB, Billericay, Essex. Friday 29th July, 2016)
113.HADFEST 2016, Little Hadham, Herts. Featuring THE KAZANS; KNUCKLEFUNK; THE BIG BOYS; SARAH SYKES; MAX LAVERN and ROB WHEATON. A charity event in aid of KAZFEST. Saturday 16th July 2016.
112. LASTING PERCEPTIONS OF THE GREAT WAR DISCUSSED IN FOUR RECENT SONGS by Larry Miller; Amy Goddard; Reg Meuross; and Del Bromham.
111. With the TANYA PICHE BLUES BAND in BASILDON STUDIO. Saturday 2nd July 2016; + a few words about the band’s live EP Back At Ya! (2016)
108. GORDON LIGHTFOOT at Cliffs Pavilion, Essex. Saturday 28th May, 2016
107. KARA’s new album Some Other Shore (2016). A pre-release review
104. DAVE HANSON Almost Horizontal (2016). A pre-release review.
103. BAD COMPANY Live 1977 & 1979 (2016) + a trip down memory Lane!
102. MONDAY BLUES AT PEGGY SUE’S. 2nd May 2016. Host MARTIN McNEILL. Guests: TIM HUSKISSON and PAUL WOODLEY.
101. BILL FARROW at HAVERFOLK in The Golden Lion, Romford. Wednesday 27th April 2016. + A few words about the club’s new venue.
100. THE CADILLAC KINGS at THE NEW CRAWDADDY CLUB, Billericay, Essex. Friday, 22nd April, 2016. A review by guest writers Karen and Del of the club.
99. THE VICTORY ARMS (+BILL FARROW and others) at ROMFORD FOLK CLUB, in The Sun PH. Tuesday, 19th April 2016.
96. THE MALAYA BLUE BAND Heartsick album launch at the New Crawdaddy Blues Club, Billericay, Essex. Friday, 1st April, 2016
95. MALAYA BLUE Heartsick (2016). A pre-release reiew.
94. AMY GODDARD Secret Garden (2016) A pre-release review.
93. ROBERT LANE Ends And Starts (EP) (2016) A pre-release review.
92. PHIL THE MUSIC QUILL IS TWO YEARS OLD! 1st Feb 2014-16
82. Introducing VIVID VAGUE; and their new singles ‘Weep’ and ‘Breathe’ (2015).
81. RUBY AND THE REVELATORS: LIVE At The Tuesday Night Music Club (EP) (2015)
80. THE TANYA PICHE BLUES BAND’s new live single for Halloween: ‘Good Morning Mr.Postman’ (2015)
79. AMY GODDARD Burn & Glow (2014); and a few words about her new single ‘Gladdie’.
78. KARA at HAVERFOLK. The White Horse PH, Chadwell Heath, Essex. Wednesday, 14th October, 2015 + A few words about the venue; the club; and their Open Floor.
77. DAVE McGRAW AND MANDY FER at CHAPEL ARTS CENTRE, Bath. Sunday 11th October, 2015
76. DEVONBIRD’s album launch gig. (With HARPING MAD; and GREG HANCOCK) in the Clifford Room, BARNFIELD THEATRE, Exeter. Friday, 9th October, 2015 (An on-line review)
69. SON OF MAN with special guest DEKE LEONARD (+ STEVE KELLY and GAVIN LLOYD-WILSON). At the VILLAGE BLUES CLUB’s 7th Reunion, DAGENHAM TRADES HALL. Saturday, 12th September, 2015. + A few words about the venue.
68. LEWIS CREAVEN at UNDER THE STARS, Bristol. Wednesday, 9th September, 2015.
67. GORDON GILTRAP (+GARY RANDLE and DEBBIE CARTER) at Fairkytes Arts Centre, Hornchurch, Essex. Friday, 4th September, 2015. +A few words about the venue.
66. RED BUTLER at THE NEW CRAWDADDY BLUES CLUB, Billericay, Essex. Friday, 21st August 2015 + An interview with the band and a few words about the club and the venue.
65. TANYA PICHE & ROBERT LUCAS “Wang Dang Doodle” (Single)
64. THE MALAYA BLUE BAND (+ SNAKEOIL). At the Grand Opening of DAVE SPARK’S ROCKIN’ BLUES NIGHT, at The Anchor Inn, Benfleet, Essex. Friday, 7th August, 2015. + Interviews with MALAYA BLUE and DUDLEY ROSS; and a few words about the club, the venue, and the BBA.
63. MONDAY BLUES AT PEGGY SUE’S. 3rd August, 2015. With MILTON & FARROW.
62. RUBY TIGER’s new single ‘It Hurts Me Too’ (2015) + a little about her forthcoming live EP.
61. THE LARRY MILLER BAND, at TOUCHLINE LIVE MUSIC, Hockley, Essex. Friday, 17th July 2015. + a pre-gig interview with Larry; and a few words about the club’s new venue.
60. GREG HANCOCK Comfortable Hatred EP (2015).
59. DEVONBIRD (+ BILL FARROW & others), ROMFORD FOLK CLUB in THE SUN (PH), Tuesday, 7th July, 2015 + a few words about the club and the venue.
58. With DEVONBIRD Part Two: Video shooting. Tuesday, 9th June 2015.
57. With DEVONBIRD Part One: Practice And Planning. Monday, 8th June, 2015.
56. MARTIN TURNER’S WISHBONE ASH at the VILLAGE BLUES CLUB 6th Reunion, DAGENHAM ROUNDHOUSE. Saturday, 30th May, 2015 + a few words about the venue.
54. THE BRONSONS Out Too Early EP (2015)
53. MARTIN McNEILL Lately I’ve Let Things Slide (Bottleneck Blues, 2015)
52. KING ROLLO Easy Street (Disques Classiques, 2015)
50. TEXAS ’25th Anniversary Tour’ at CLIFFS PAVILION, Essex. Thursday, 7th May, 2015.
49. THE ILLEGAL EAGLES at LINCOLN THEATRE ROYAL. Friday, 24th April, 2015.
48. JENNY SMITH + THE STEVIE SMITH TRIO at ‘COMMUTER JAZZ’; ZING CAFE BAR, LINCOLN PERFORMING ARTS CENTRE. Friday, 24th April 2015.
47. MONDAY BLUES AT PEGGY SUE’S, 20th April 2015. Host: MARTIN McNEILL; special guest: ROY METTE
46. RANCE’S ROCKIN’ CHAIR BAND. JAZZ NIGHT at BRENTWOOD BOWLS CLUB, Essex. Saturday, 18th April, 2015.
45. DARIA KULESH at LOST HORIZONS FOLK AND ACOUSTIC CLUB, at the BIRKBECK TAVERN, East London. Friday 17th April, 2015
44. MARTIN TURNER’S WISHBONE ASH at THE BEAVERWOOD CLUB, Chislehurst. Thursday, 16th April, 2015.
42. THE BUDDY WHITTINGTON BAND at THE BEAVERWOOD CLUB, Chislehurst. Tuesday, 31st March, 2015.
41. RADIO CAROLINE: THE TRUE STORY OF THE BOAT THAT ROCKED by Ray Clark. Plus, a piratical voyage down the sea-lanes of my memory!
40. FOCUS (+ THE STEVE EGGS BAND) at the BOOM BOOM CLUB. Friday, 20th March, 2015.
39. THE HOLLIES at CLIFFS PAVILION, Westcliff-On-Sea, Essex. Saturday, 7th march, 2015. + words on their albums, 50 At Fifty; and Then, Now, Always.
38. MONDAY BLUES AT PEGGY SUE’S. 2nd March 2015. Hosted by MARTIN McNEILL; with special guests STEVE WEST WESTON and ROB GLAZEBROOK. + a few words about the venue.
37. EMILY HOWARD Where Do I Go? EP (Random Fish Records, 2013)
36. BLUESHAKER Handle With Care (Blues Company, 2014)
35. DARIA KULESH Eternal Child (Folkstock Records, 2014)
34. MARIELLA TIROTTO & THE BLUES FEDERATION Live In Concert (2015)
33. MILTON & FARROW at ONAPLATE, Shenfield, Essex. Friday, 16th January, 2015; and a few words about the venue.
32. ANGE HARDY The Lament Of The Black Sheep (Story Records, 2014)
30. AN EVENING FOR WALTER TROUT. Featuring OTIS GRAND; ALAN DARBY; SONJA KRISTINA; LAURENCE JONES; and the VOODOO SHEIKHS. The 1,000th gig at the BOOM BOOM CLUB. Friday, 28th November, 2014.
29. At the ACOUSTIC WAREHOUSE Open Mic Night, PASSAGE HOUSE INN, Kingsteighton, Devon. Monday, 3rd November, 2014.
28. OXJAM MUSIC FESTIVAL, EXETER. Featuring NIC JONES; DEVONBIRD; GREG HANCOCK QUARTET; JEMIMA FAREY; GREG RUSSELL; APPALOOSAS; EMILY HOWARD; ANGE HARDY; at HOPE HALL, Exeter. Sunday, 2nd November, 2014.
27. STEVE HACKETT Genesis Extended Tour (+Bryan & Livvy from MOSTLY AUTUMN), at CLIFFS PAVILION, Essex. Tuesday, 28th October, 2014.
26. VIRGIL AND THE ACCELERATORS at TOUCHLINE LIVE MUSIC, Hullbridge. Friday, 24th October, 2014; plus, chatting with the band pre-show.
25. MARTIN TURNER’S WISHBONE ASH at TOUCHLINE LIVE MUSIC, Hullbridge. Friday, 17th October, 2014; plus, a few words with MT back-stage.
24. JAMES ANTHONY: Some People Get It (Haltone Records, 2014)
23. THE MICKY MOODY BAND (featuring ALI MAAS) at COOLHAM VILLAGE HALL. Sunday, 12th October, 2014; and a few words about TAME PROMOTIONS and the Sussex Blues scene.
22. MILTON-FARROW SKIFFLE’n’BLUES BAND: Skiffleodeon EP (Right Track Records, 2014) + their PHOENIX FM radio session, 9th October, 2014
21. BLUE BISHOPS: In The Red (Cyclone Music, 2010)
20. STEVE HOWE: A solo acoustic gig at STRATFORD CIRCUS, East London. Wednesday 17th September, 2014
19. RUSH: A Farewell To Kings, and memories of 1977!
18. NICKY ‘ELVIS’ HART’s 3oth Birthday Bash at the EASTBROOK, Dagenham. Saturday, 19th July, 2014
17. JOHNNY WINTER 1944 – 2014: A Personal remembrance and tribute.
16. RUBY AND THE REVELATORS (+ PACE COOPER) at the CHICHESTER INN, West Sussex. Sunday, 6th July, 2014 (Vistas EP launch party)
15. THE MOVE (+ THE GABRIELLA JONES BAND) at THE BOOM BOOM CLUB, Sutton. Friday, 30th May 2014
14. COCO MONTOYA (+ LAURENCE JONES) at THE BOOM BOOM CLUB, Sutton, Surrey. Friday, 23rd May, 2014
12B. OPEN FLOOR NIGHT at EXMOUTH FOLK CLUB, The Manor Hotel, Exmouth. Tuesday, 20th May, 2014
12A. OPEN MIC NIGHT at THE FAMOUS OLD BARREL, Exmouth, Devon. Monday, 19th May, 2014
11. GLYN PROTHEROE (again) at THE MORRIS DANCER (again) Friday, 16th May, 2014
10. GLYN PROTHEROE at THE MORRIS DANCER, Harold Hill, Essex. Good Friday, 18th April 2014
9. NICKY ‘ELVIS’ HART at THE 72 CLUB. Ilford, Essex. Saturday, 12th April, 2014
8. ALBERT KERSEY’S SOLO BAND
7. RICHARD DIGANCE at THE TOUCHLINE LIVE MUSIC CLUB, Hullbridge, Essex. Saturday, 29th March 2014
6. THE AUSTRALIAN PINK FLOYD at THE CLIFFS PAVILION, Southend-on-Sea, Essex. Tuesday, 4th March 2014
5. MARTIN TURNER’S WISHBONE ASH
4. ALL ABOUT DEVONBIRD
3. CLASSIC PROG-ROCK REVISITED!
2. SOMETHING IN THE AIR!
1. THE STRAWBS (+ ADRIAN NATION) at THE TOUCHLINE LIVE MUSIC CLUB, Essex. Saturday, 1st February 2014
Follow me on FACEBOOK:
Follow me on TWITTER:
Email PTMQ: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for looking, Phil The Music Quill